Tuesday, October 02, 2007

John McCain Are Ig'nant

Let's backtrack to Saturday with a little John McCain, as I'm falling behind on the blogging as of late (I've still got to get last week's Dem notes up, sheesh!) I know, get on the stick.

While he did later qualify his political gaffe with "I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and to defend our political values," he clearly stated that "...I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith" and that Christianity is "an important part of our qualifications to lead."

I see Obama catch flack for spending a couple years of his childhood in a Muslim country and Romney being singled out as Mormon; I understand that if a Muslim were to run for president, he'd probably be assassinated by the Religious Right, but that doesn't mean a Muslim is automatically disqualified solely by religion. And anyone who would say such is illuminating their ignorance of America, like saying it's acceptable to give up rights to preserve America when without those rights we lose the core and heart of what makes us America.

Can I get some good sense?
"That kind of attitude goes against the American tradition of religious pluralism and inclusion," said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Thank you. At least someone remembers what we're supposed to be about.

But the real gem? Read it and weep:
"I admire the Islam. There's a lot of good principles in it,...."
I spent one year teaching 10th and 12th grade English. This level of linguistic acumen is representative of some of the worst case scenarios in writing and/or speech.

At least he's not running for president. Oh, shit. Wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Republican John McCain says US is a Christian land, Not for Islam
http://www.hotconflict.com/blog/2007/10/republican-john.html

He was asked whether a Muslim candidate for president was a viable option? McCain made an unfortunate mistake, by speaking his mind. It seems no matter what you say or do, there is a strong racism on the republican side against Islam and Muslims
READ More...