Thursday, October 08, 2009

Some Days on Facebook...

I read through the posts and the absurd, trite, hollow people that I have somehow decided it was important to friend, and wonder how they live their lives. And it's worse because I regularly think that about strangers, every time I see a nasty, sour face on the street or in a store - a lone wanderer in the UDF completely void of any feeling or zest for life, a man walking his child down the street with a "what the fuck did I do with my life?" blankness on his face, every single person working at or shopping in Walmart. But this is worse. These are people I know. People I at least did know in some capacity at one point in my life. And they're playing Mafia Wars or Farmville and requesting friends pitch in and going shopping or watching sitcoms and the terrifying part is that they are happy doing that.

And it makes me sad because they don't create anything, only consume, and - for fuck's sake! - have no passion for making the world a better place, or at least a different place. They laugh at canned laughter and devour terrible reality television and thrive on it - but only enough to consume more canned laughter and ingest more reality television. And shopping. And stuff. And more stuff.

One thing: if I get to the point of actually laughing at sitcoms and watching reality TV on MTV and finding any joy in shopping in the mall (other than book stores and GameStop), then they have replaced me with someone else. Put a bullet in my head.

I'll be one less ignorant person absorbing media I refuse to think about and voting for what I do not understand.

We've got enough idiocy in America already.

5 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

Wow, I have days like that too. Luckily for me, I work in a library so most of the people I see at least like to read.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

take a deep breath ricky......

Randal Graves said...

Hey now, don't be casting aspersions at those of us with blank faces. I worked long and hard on mine.

Megan said...

Sometimes I need a little mindless Farmville. It's calming.

Ricky Shambles said...

Yeah, that was a rough one. And I don't begrudge anyone for finding some happy mindless time in Farmville, though some of the addicts are disturbing.