Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Holidays Remix



And so I'm back, from outer space...

As I mentioned in my last post, we had a bit of a rough holiday. In 4 quick steps:
  • I ended up going back to Cleveland early for my godmother's funeral the day before Xmas. Pancreatic cancer is a nasty thing.
  • Just after the funeral, my 4 year old niece took a header off a small trampoline to land teeth-first on the edge of the round base of a papasan chair. She needed stitches in the side of her mouth, chipped 3 teeth, fractured the front 2 above the gumline, and bled for over 24 hours. My brother-in-law did not make it to NY where he was planning on spending Xmas with his family.
  • My mother-in-law unexpectedly passed away Sunday night, right after Christmas. Service was Wednesday. I don't think it's fully sunk in yet for me, and I'm just planning to be here for Mrs. Shambles when the full gravity hits her.
  • Thursday a close friend of the family turned blue and almost choked to death at the dinner table. Luckily my sister's a medic.

At this point, while only symbolic, I'm glad we're done with 2010.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Holy moly! You and your loved ones have had a bad run. May 2011 be much better!

Ricky Shambles said...

"May 2011 be much better!"

Me hope other 11 months be better too! ;)

Blueberry said...

Oh man! So sorry! :-(

Almost everyone I know lost someone during the "holidays." I attended a funeral on New Year's Eve, an acquaintance who was shot during a home invasion, probably with his own gun.