Saturday, June 11, 2011

Angry Hobos Unite!



Looking at DVD releases that came out this weekend, I saw this:


Hobo with a Shotgun

Hobo buys a gun and goes on vigilante mission. (Rutger Hauer, Gregory Smith, Brian Downey)


Hahaha! Rutger Hauer's a hobo! Really, though, who says "hobo" anymore? Though I guess "Homeless Guy with a Shotgun" or "Transient with a Shotgun" doesn't have the zip that "Hobo" does.

Wait, how did the hobo earn the money? Can you beg enough to feed yourself and your alcohol addiction and your occasional weed habit AND regularly tuck enough away to purchase a firearm? Does a background check bypass not having a residence? Does "Shitty maroon traincar with dick spraypainted on the outside in white" count?

Shit.

Now I'm going to have to see this.

4 comments:

Booksteve said...

I hear from folks I know who love the wackier films like this (Troma films, killer nuns, etc) that this one tries too hard to be a cult film. It's tough to actually succeed if your goal is to MAKE a cult film. Kinda gotta just happen. Me, I just think of it and remember back when Rutger Hauer had a real career.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like Rutger Hauer has fallen on hard times in more ways than one.

Blueberry said...

I remember this was made into a feature after starting as one of the fake trailers in Grindhouse (along with Machete). Other than that trailer, I can't remember the recent use of the word 'hobo' before Tom Cruise's character in Tropic Thunder used it in a really hilarious way.
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0100777/quotes

The Alamo Drafthouse (where I usually go for movies) created their own Hobo With a Shotgun game for the lobby. It just might be one-of-a-kind, not sure.

Ricky Shambles said...

Booksteve- Yeah, that's the gist I got from online mentions. Fan of Troma too, so I'll see. Downloaded but not watched.

Debra- Hey, it's a gig I guess.

Blue- Aah, awesome! A game? OMG.