Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mr. Wizard, 1917-2007

Don Herbert, better known as Mr. Wizard, has passed away. I don't know what to say. Heard this from Phil Plait over at Bad Astronomy, Yahoo obit via BA. He popularized science in the 50's and 60's, but I was a child of the 80's and Mr. Wizard's World on Nickelodeon was my bread and butter. It was directly responsible for my love of all things science. If Mr. Wizard had been my college chem teacher, I may have stuck around to become a biochemist.

Mr. Wizard, you will be missed.

I didn't know an 80's television show intro could make me weep:



And yes, you can get it on DVD now. Here's the promo:



Mr. Wizard on (old) Late Night with David Letterman:



...and one more. Mr. Wizard's 1988 Energy Facts PSA:



You can see his official website at http://www.mrwizardstudios.com/.

No comments: