Friday, May 29, 2009

There Was a Bat in my Shoe

Axcess Vernon
These are the shoes in question

bat
This is representative; I would not hold a wild bat.

Yesterday morning I was letting my dog in and I heard a sudden and incessant chirp-like noise followed by a brief flutter. I froze, wondering what kind of god-awful bug had made it into our home, and simultaneously spotted it: out of one of my shoes flopped a single bat wing.

OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygod - breathe!

I leaned over and grabbed the towel sometimes used to wipe off re-entering damp paws and as I slowly approached the shoe, towel held up half in defense, half in expectation of capture, it emerged, chirping, and took a couple fumbling flaps towards me. Like a teasing, shaking, fumbling toreador, I let out a sound that must've resembled a groaning dog and dodged the bat, which landed on the floor.

After a quick toss, a careful roll, and a short trip to the deck, I released our previous captive, who took quickly to the air.

Weirdest thing: the dog and cats were not acting weird or prodding at the shoe which - with a wild animal - I would've expected.

And the only thing I thought - and still think: dude, there was a fucking bat in my shoe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The dogs and cats weren't acting weird because IT WAS A VAMPIRE transfigured into the form of a bat who had already hypnotized them. You better watch out, you're on somebody's bad list...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh...cats only react to mummies and the dog is clearly useless.

Ricky Shambles said...

Okay, Cal's comment makes sense, but dbso - that just gives me the creeps.