Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Freedom From Religion

Imagine No Religion

Rut-roh. The Alabama Free Thought Association planted this one along I-20. And the result ...is exactly what I would expect.

Angry Christians are calling in a sanctimonious batshit outrage with messages about the FFRF and AFTA that are anything but Christian. It is unsurprising irony. I deal with black billboards purportedly with messages directly from God, others with specific religious messages, and this monstrosity along I-75 known locally as "Touchdown" or "Butter" Jesus.

Butter Touchdown Jesus

They all offend me personally.

I understand that this may be the first time some of the folks down in Pell City have seen or heard of these lyrics by that dirty hippie John Lennon, but lighten the fuck up.

This is not a message for you to give up your beliefs. This is not a message for you to change your beliefs or telling your kids to worship the devil. It is a simple thought experiment. Look, if it makes you feel better: if there were no religion, there would be no Muslims either.

I believe I just heard a pressure valve puff. But the furnace is still charged, the thoughts still un-christlike, and there are angry fingers dialing even now, at the commercial break of General Hospital.

5 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Amen brother.

Randal Graves said...

I much prefer I Can't Believe It's Not Jesus.

Ricky Shambles said...

Monkey - Amen backatcha.

RG - Phrase of awesome.

Anonymous said...

John Lennon..what a fucking hypocrite! He was soooooo peace loving and wanted all the world to love each other...the only problem is he had a son that he totally ignored. I guess his own kid didn't qualify as part of his "world".

Ricky Shambles said...

Anon,

I guess God would apologize that He made you a douche, except He's God and He probably made you a douche for some purpose. I'm guessing that purpose is not to troll my blog post and shit on John Lennon.

John's message was - like God's - love. That's all. Love.

I, and many of my readers, are on a different path than you are. Engage that path, but remember that all is love. And that you don't have to be a douche all of your life.

God also gives us freedom of choice. That means freedom of choice not to be a douche.

You, too, can be saved.

Amen.