Monday, November 17, 2008

Staying Sane

Times Online have something to be said about staying sane and becoming happy:
Steps to happiness

Connect
Developing relationships with family, friends, colleagues and neighbours will enrich your life and bring you support

Be active
Sports, hobbies such as gardening or dancing, or just a daily stroll will make you feel good and maintain mobility and fitness

Be curious
Noting the beauty of everyday moments as well as the unusual and reflecting on them helps you to appreciate what matters to you

Learn
Fixing a bike, learning an instrument, cooking – the challenge and satisfaction brings fun and confidence

Give
Helping friends and strangers links your happiness to a wider community and is very rewarding

Do you have time to do each of these every day?

Personally and recently, I'm finding myself a mess. I have a theory that if I just meditate every morning, do some sort of exercising or weight training, and smoke a cigarette, I'd be a much happier person.

Daily regimens requested from my readers: how do you stay sane/alive/in-the-moment (am I reaching too far?)?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound like great suggestions, but I don't see myself doing more than a couple a day.

I try to do something physical each day (ride the elliptical, take a walk, pretend that cleaning is "real" exercise), I read tons of stuff on line and I take every opportunity to commit random acts of kindness.

Ricky Shambles said...

I totally agree; nice ideas for anyone who does not have a life. But still nice ideas.

Jennifer Hayes Hugon said...

It's possible to overlap some of these. With a lot of practice, being "curious" as they say, or mindful as I like to put it, can happen frequently and it makes a huge difference.

Being happy is an active pursuit. Often we as a culture feel like happiness is something that happens TO us, when really, it is something we have control over. Perception and practice and perseverence. I have to work at it every single day... and they are not all successful.

For me? Yoga, reading a "fun" book and a glass of wine with dinner. And a hug or two, real or from friends far away.

HUGS!