Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I Haven't Been Tagged Like That Since 'Nam

Joking. I'm only 32. And understand that people who lived through Viet Nam think it is AWESOME when someone who didn't makes a joke about it. Sweet.

This post comes to us from the wonderful and lovely Distracted By Shiny Objects over at A Tidings of Magpies. However, I will forgo the obligatory "these guys are tagged!" Or maybe not. We'll see how I feel at the end of this.

1: What is your current obsession?
While juggling my own business so we don't end up on the street and home duties so we don't end up on Clean Sweep, while spending quality time with my family and carting around our daughter to half a dozen appointments every week, my current (and ongoing) obsession is wondering where I went and salvaging any scrap of time I can to spend time with him.

2: Which item of clothing do you wear most?
On any given day it's a tug-of-war by time. I work from my home office, so if it's a crazy coding day or a generally rough day, my pajama pants wearing tops the 12 hour mark as it is padded by the overnight hours. If it's a good, active, busy, or particularly proactive day, jeans all the way. Today was pajama pants with a Guinness print (fav). Favorite jeans are the dark, soft ones Mrs. Shambles hates.

3: What's for dinner?
Kraft Mac n Cheese with Ball Park Beef Franks (those Turkey ones suck).

(For the record, we generally like to cook; yesterday was grilled teriyaki halibut steak with garlic broccoli and carrots with stuffing.)

4: Last thing you bought?
Last actual purchase was OJ, 10 cal Vitamin Water (orange), beer, and Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Last thing I bought for myself was Marian Call's "Got to Fly," #405/1000 signed by her. It is delicious.

5: What are you listening to?
Sirius Radio Channel 86: CBC Radio 3. A.C. Newman's "Like a Hitman, Like a Dancer" is playing now. How come Canadian Indie is so much better than American Indie right now?

6: If you were a God or Goddess, who would you be?
Ideally, Kartikay, son of Shiva, brother of Ganesha, peacock-riding, demon-slaying, six-headed (one for each teat-set of his six goddess nursemaids) scientist god of Hinduism. But I do have a mean Dionysus streak in me as well.

7: Favourite holiday spots?
Ireland was fantastic, so that's probably the fav so far, but anywhere I can explore non-tourist culture with or without a plan, funded or shoestring, is good with me.

Antithesis of this answer is sitting on a beach for a week or two, tanning (which I do not do gracefully), tour buses, and buying straw hats and polyester palm tree shirts from the hotel gift shop.

8: Reading right now?
No, typing.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I guess it's a form of speculative fiction scifi fantasy, but with some real grit, focusing on a human scientist, his insectoid lover, and a grub that eats psychoactive drugs

9: Okay...what were you thinking about just then?
See question #1.

10: Who's your hero/heroine?
Ghandi is my hero. Gary Oldman if we're leaning Hollywood. Never tried heroin.

11: First spring thing?
Stripping the closets for the Goodwill truck. Then going to the Goodwill store for some tasty retro wardrobe choices.

12: Funniest thing you saw in your life?
For me, funny is momentary, always mutable, and usually is on the internet. What keeps me laughing? Angry Alien Productions library of 30-second animated movie synopses featuring bunnies is always a winner. Teen Girl Squad also.

And then there's Kids in the Hall's Gavin.



13: Favourite film?
True Romance. "You're so cool."



14: Share some wisdom?

One who speaks does not know
One who knows does not speak

-- Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching - Verse 56

15: If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?

Some of my fondest childhood memories revolve around a red maple in my parents' front yard that I used to climb frequently, allowed to or not. Even carved a heart with the initials of myself and my gradeschool sweetheart. If I could provide that joy, that solace, to anyone, that would be it: Red Maple.

16: Fictitious characters who made a lasting impression on you?
Walter Mitty, Peyton Farquhar, Billy Budd, Dorian Gray, God

17: 4 words to describe you?
I need to live.


Yeah, I'm going to forgo the "8 person" rule. I have to make dinner. #3. If you read this and want it, then just frickin' do it. Comment or email and I'll add your site in an update.

Love you long time.

1 comment:

Randal Graves said...

As long as the human doesn't eat the psychoactive drugs. That's always the gateway, ya know?